Sunday, October 31, 2010

What is The Doorknob Question?

As a practicing Internist, I hear stories every day.  Most are related to problems my patients have, and of course they are important.  However, I have found that the most important stories, tend to come at the end of our visit, when I am ready to leave the room to see my next patient.  At this point, when my hand is on the doorknob, I will often get that last question...the question they just remembered....or the question the person really came in to see me for.....or the question the person just had to get off their chest. Sometimes it is a funny question.  Sometimes it is serious.  And sometimes it is heartbreaking.  But always, always, it makes my hand come off the doorknob and sit back down.

It is these questions that make our lives what they are, that make us explore the meaning of our lives.  And they don't have to be confined to my profession.  Lawyers, salespeople, hairdressers, .... essentially all of us interact with other people and have that doorknob moment, even if there isn't a doorknob there. I hope, through this blog to explore those doorknob moments with you.  Some will make you laugh, some will make you shudder, but I think all of them will make you think.
I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment